Thursday, July 12, 2012

Workstations!


I LOVE workstations.  I love everything about them.  I love building stamina with my kiddos for independent work, I love watching them have fun and engage in learning activities and I love listening to them help each other learn.  I am going to run to my classroom and take some pictures of my workstation chart and the system I use to build stamina so I can share with you.
I think my favorite workstation is the building words (Word Fun!).  I have this set of balls that contain and object and random letters that I got from a girlfriend who was retiring.  The ball will have a mug in it with the letters, m, u, g.  In this station, the kiddos say the name of the object, /mug/ and then say all the sounds, /m/ /u/ /g/.  After they say the sounds, they make the word using the letters.   The kiddos get so involved in sounding out the words.  They love opening the balls and seeing what object they will get. So FUN!  


A few weeks into workstations (since they don’t start at the beginning of the year in kinder, it was October) I realized this station was very fun, but if I wasn’t sitting right there with them, there was little accountability.   I got to thinking about ways I could get a hold of this.  So…  I created a set of worksheets to help manage my workstations and student accountability.  They loved them!  I also created workstation posters I can place around my room that have the station objective – my principal loved that!
I put them all together for some of the stations I have in my room.  Check them out!

I use this one on the right at the word wall.  The kiddos write a word in in space, read the word and then decorate the page to look like a quilt. This worksheet is also included in the pack with an objective poster!

6 comments:

  1. Love the Word activity!! How fun!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My kiddos love it! I think my love for workstations rubs off!

      Kristen

      Delete
  2. I am your newest follower! Cute blog, I can see you have many great ideas!
    Layla

    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome and thank you! I am running over to go follow you!

      Kristen

      Delete
  3. I really like your objectives posters. It's a great idea.

    ✿April✿
    Grade School Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know that at our school, we are supposed to have an objective posted for whatever activity the kiddos are doing. I hope those posters help out!

      Kristen

      Delete

I love comments! Can't wait to hear what you have to say!