Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sight Words

After an overwhelming response yesterday (errr…) I decided to start something else.  J 
In the past, I had some mixed feelings about sight words.  I was undereducated and thought they were all about drill-n-kill.  You know, how most people use a flash-card?!
Well, after some great meetings with my reading coach, I saw the light  ~insert choir music and beautiful beams of light... picture me with my hands in the air as well~
I understood how teaching my kiddos to recognize common words could help free up some space in those brains for the tricky words that need to be decoded.  Once I started putting a little more emphasis on sight word fluency, my kiddos’ reading fluency started to show improvement.  Who would have thought?!  Reading groups were actually moving and kids were feeling the success.  I was in love. 
Soooooo, I decided that this summer I was going to work on sight word activities that could be used daily – bell work, mini-lesson, small group, whole group or work stations.  I just finished making a pack of sight word activities for the Dolch Pre-Primer list.  I had a lot of fun creating it and I hope you will find a place for it in your room.




I am going to start working on the Primer list during naptime tomorrow!  Let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Can't wait to hear what you have to say!